Skip to content

Steam

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Re: Steam

Postby cdoublejj » April 20th, 2013, 6:25 am

So some are are upset there is no stand alone. I'm a steam guy my self, so I' m curious if it will have could save. Not just Shadowrun either, would be REALLY REALLY nice for WL2 as well.
cdoublejj

Postby Woolfe » April 20th, 2013, 2:49 pm

cdoublejj wrote:So some are are upset there is no stand alone. I'm a steam guy my self, so I' m curious if it will have could save. Not just Shadowrun either, would be REALLY REALLY nice for WL2 as well.

*scratching head*

What?

Are you talking about the saving in shadowrun? As far as I am aware there will be saving(almost?) anywhere in WL2.

:D
As a mod I am here to uphold the Forum Rules, feel free to pm me or the other mods with concerns.

My opinions however are my own. Mostly cause no one else wants them :)
Woolfe

Postby TΛPETRVE » April 20th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Typo. He means cloud save.
This brotoflatron requires a strul!
TΛPETRVE

Postby Woolfe » April 21st, 2013, 1:38 am

TΛPETRVE wrote:Typo. He means cloud save.

*facepalm*... of course he did..... I had a moment there :D

I actually don't find "cloudsave" that useful. Its nice to have, but generally I use my computer for gaming. So the loss of it is not great. That said its probably not that hard to implement. I imagine it would simply be an api in steam that takes "save" and "config" files and replicates them to whereever you install the application.
As a mod I am here to uphold the Forum Rules, feel free to pm me or the other mods with concerns.

Woolfe

Postby cdoublejj » April 21st, 2013, 8:04 am

I have a gaming laptop and two towers. 1 tower has 3 operating systems on it, windows 7, Lubuntu and OSX on it. Cloud save can be REALLY helpful at times.
cdoublejj

Postby Woolfe » April 21st, 2013, 2:04 pm

cdoublejj wrote:I have a gaming laptop and two towers. 1 tower has 3 operating systems on it, windows 7, Lubuntu and OSX on it. Cloud save can be REALLY helpful at times.

:lol: Ah... to have disposable cash again... I remember when I had a similar config.... I still only ever used 1 device as the primary. The other devices were for other people who may have been visiting.

Back in the day when I could afford to buy the laptop with the best gaming video card available. :roll:

Bloody kids :mrgreen:

Woolfe

Postby ffordesoon » April 21st, 2013, 5:03 pm

Here's a question for the devs, actually. Say the game doesn't have Steam cloud saving. Will the save files be stored somewhere where you can easily copy-paste them to, say, your Dropbox folder, then copy-paste them from the Dropbox folder to the game's save folder on another computer?

I ask because there are games that are good about this, like the Witcher games, and there are games that are absolute dickholes about it for whatever reason. They'll put all the saves in a single file called "savegame," for example. "DRM-free" doesn't necessarily mean "hassle-free," unfortunately, so I feel duty-bound to ask.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.
ffordesoon

Postby Drool » April 21st, 2013, 7:40 pm

Not a bad point. I remember backing up save files to a jump drive for that sort of thing. And while I don't have a whole bevy of computers, I do have both a desktop and a laptop, and I could see how cloud saving (or, at least, easy save file transfer) would be a nice touch. Especially if the hardware requirements are pretty low.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.
Drool

Postby cdoublejj » April 23rd, 2013, 9:37 am

Woolfe wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:I have a gaming laptop and two towers. 1 tower has 3 operating systems on it, windows 7, Lubuntu and OSX on it. Cloud save can be REALLY helpful at times.

:lol: Ah... to have disposable cash again... I remember when I had a similar config.... I still only ever used 1 device as the primary. The other devices were for other people who may have been visiting.

Back in the day when I could afford to buy the laptop with the best gaming video card available. :roll:

I haven't a lot of money. It took me while, each machine takes about a year to buy all the parts for each machine. I keep an eye out for all the best deals.

However Cloud save is also pretty useful if you play on a friend's computer as well. Another thing that comes to mind is traveling. nothing like being several states away to remember you left your save game on your desktop at home.
cdoublejj

Postby Woolfe » April 23rd, 2013, 3:13 pm

cdoublejj wrote:
Woolfe wrote:

I haven't a lot of money. It took me while, each machine takes about a year to buy all the parts for each machine. I keep an eye out for all the best deals.

However Cloud save is also pretty useful if you play on a friend's computer as well. Another thing that comes to mind is traveling. nothing like being several states away to remember you left your save game on your desktop at home.

Oh yeah definately, don't get my wrong, its a nice to have facility. Its just not a game stopper :D

Woolfe

Postby paultakeda » April 23rd, 2013, 3:29 pm

Woolfe wrote:
Oh yeah definately, don't get my wrong, its a nice to have facility. Its just not a game stopper :D

Or the game allows you to save anywhere you want and you drop it into your Google Drive/SkyDrive/Dropbox/Box/WhateverCloudServiceYaGot folder. That would certainly be the most agnostic solution save solution, cloud or no cloud.
paultakeda

Postby cdoublejj » April 24th, 2013, 9:19 am

I honestly think valve should introduce a could saving service (not sure if it should be free or pay for) that knows where your save games are for your non cloud steam games and syncs them up for you when you log in form another computer.

IE it would sync save files in my documents and appdata folders. (with out over writing game/graphics settings files/ini)
cdoublejj

Postby Woolfe » April 25th, 2013, 5:00 am

cdoublejj wrote:I honestly think valve should introduce a could saving service (not sure if it should be free or pay for) that knows where your save games are for your non cloud steam games and syncs them up for you when you log in form another computer.

IE it would sync save files in my documents and appdata folders. (with out over writing game/graphics settings files/ini)

In theory it wouldn't be hard, the difficulty would be all the variations of games etc. If every dev does it slightly different, you would have to investigate and test every single game.

You could crowdsource it tho. Put the facility in as a "locker" like option, and then allow people to configure and then share. Of course that may have adverse risks etc... be a good idea tho.

Woolfe

Postby UniversalWolf » June 12th, 2013, 2:36 pm

I vote for there to be no Steam version, ever.
"The only way to fight hate is with more hate." -Eric Cartman
UniversalWolf

Postby Woolfe » June 12th, 2013, 5:20 pm

UniversalWolf wrote:I vote for there to be no Steam version, ever.

Don't inflict your prejudice and your decisions on others.

Steam and Non steam versions can co-exist without issue. So having a steam version will not affect you one iota.

Woolfe

Postby Drool » June 12th, 2013, 8:20 pm

UniversalWolf wrote:I vote for there to be no Steam version, ever.

They've known there would be a Steam version since April 12th. Of last year.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Drool

Postby Crosmando » June 12th, 2013, 11:20 pm

The very concept of "cloud saving" scares me. Are you telling me that some people would rather store their personal save-game files on some Valve server rather than on their own hard-drive? Nothing but sneaky DRM practices
Crosmando

Postby Woolfe » June 13th, 2013, 12:39 am

Crosmando wrote:The very concept of "cloud saving" scares me. Are you telling me that some people would rather store their personal save-game files on some Valve server rather than on their own hard-drive? Nothing but sneaky DRM practices

From what I understand it does both. Local save syncs to the cloud

Woolfe

Postby Drool » June 13th, 2013, 9:01 pm

Then don't use it.

Wasteland will be available from Steam, Origin, Desura, GOG, the inXile website, and any other place they can get a distribution deal. If you don't like Steam, don't use it.

OH MY GOD! Someone's driving a red car! I hate red cars! Nobody should be allowed to drive red cars!
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Drool

Postby Crosmando » June 14th, 2013, 2:02 am

Drool wrote:Then don't use it.

Wasteland will be available from Steam, Origin, Desura, GOG, the inXile website, and any other place they can get a distribution deal. If you don't like Steam, don't use it.

OH MY GOD! Someone's driving a red car! I hate red cars! Nobody should be allowed to drive red cars!

Except that if your internet goes down, or you don't start Steam, your car doesn't work!

What's truly annoying is the self-righteous Valve fanboys from Steam who attack anyone who speaks out against DRM.
Crosmando

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Wasteland 2 General Discussion (No Spoilers)