Skip to content

Wasteland 2 Platforms

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Wasteland 2 Platforms

Postby MmmCashews » March 5th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Figure it makes sense to start a discussion on what platforms this will be made for.

I for one hope iPad/iOs is considered as it's a great medium for old school rpgs.
MmmCashews

Re: Wasteland 2 Platforms

Postby Eric » March 5th, 2012, 1:22 pm

For me personally just a PC/Steam release would be fine. But the majority of my friends are console fans and don't really PC game, so console releases would give them the chance to play.
Eric

Postby cloudyrains » March 5th, 2012, 1:24 pm

I don't know how resource demanding this game is going to be (I doubt the devs have an idea yet either :P) but I doubt it will be able to run on iOS. I guess time will tell. My vote is for PC + possibly mac, maybe even linux if it is a realistic request.

I know a lot of people wont agree with me, but I do think that consoles are a viable option for this game, as long as it is done true to the original. It will give new people exposure to this great series and make it more accessible to people who have probably never had a good post apocalyptic game, outside of Fallout 3/NV. If that is a good or bad thing, you decide, but I would be for it.
cloudyrains

Postby morrow » March 5th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Eric wrote:For me personally just a PC/Steam release would be fine. But the majority of my friends are console fans and don't really PC game, so console releases would give them the chance to play.

+1 for PC release (on Steam!!!!)
morrow

Postby Mabec » March 5th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Well. Anything but a facebook-game, really.

Oh, and not an exclusive to Mac or anything, dont really wanna get a Mac.

Steam ofcourse :)
Mabec

Postby LtMurkyShadow » March 5th, 2012, 2:08 pm

If it doesn't run on my C-64, then it is not for me.
But kidding aside. A digital download for PC will
be the most viable option in the first line.
Lester More, shot by a .44, no Les, no more.
LtMurkyShadow

Postby Finster » March 5th, 2012, 2:11 pm

Steam release please. Steam cloud saving is awesome. PC and Mac would be great. No console or handheld please. Let's not dilute or dumb down the game so it can run on mobile.
Finster

Postby monsharen » March 5th, 2012, 2:12 pm

I am one of the mac people so a port would absolutely be welcomed, but focus on nailing the game first. I don't mind chipping in those extra dimes for a windows license as long as the game is good for it!

If the game becomes a hit I guess you could pull off a port at a later date as well.
monsharen

Postby Joby » March 5th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Hey everyone! Thanks for getting involved!

We are initially going to develop and release through Steam for PC. However, depending on how funding goes (*hint* *hint*) for the Kickstarter project, we are more than open to releasing it on other platforms too! :mrgreen:
- Joby
inXile's ruthless Leader of Scripters
Joby

Postby felipepepe » March 5th, 2012, 2:28 pm

PC-only, please. I want to finally play another game that will take full advantage of mouse, keyboard and big & high res monitors. A old-school RPG that makes compromises, like simpler UI & interface and less & bigger text on screen, so will play well on the iOS is not what this project is about IMHO...
フエフエ
felipepepe

Postby Gamma » March 5th, 2012, 2:37 pm

PC and Steam is the way to go, me thinks. If the budget allows in the future, expand. But make the game environment "harsh", let it be a challenge - to survive. Console games are rarely "hard", for instance Skyrim (I know it's also for PC, but try and compare it with much more complex Morrowind), half HP, no mana, sees a dragon, "ah what the hell, let's do this!". My point? Allow gamers to make "deadly mistakes" once again.
Last edited by Gamma on March 5th, 2012, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just walk away. Give me your pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives.
Gamma

Postby Desert Ranger » March 5th, 2012, 2:38 pm

I wouldn't really mind what platform its on, but I think Wasteland 2 would probably be best on PC.
Desert Ranger

Postby Temaperacl » March 5th, 2012, 2:50 pm

PC, but I prefer a non-Steam release.
Temaperacl

Postby Ausir » March 5th, 2012, 3:12 pm

I'd love it to be released on the Mac as well. After all, Apple II was the original's very first platform!
Ausir

Postby TellarHK » March 5th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Ausir wrote:I'd love it to be released on the Mac as well. After all, Apple II was the original's very first platform!

I've got an Apple IIgs sitting here that needs some new games. Or maybe Commodore 128? The 128 never did get much gaming love in 128 mode, just 64. C'mon, lemme put my C128D's 64K VDC to use!
TellarHK

Postby Jozape » March 5th, 2012, 3:15 pm

I only want to play it on my PC, and Mac is probably a given too. But I have no problem with it coming out on iOS. I've never even used a tablet before, but I think a touch interface would work really well for role-playing games.

Also Steam is nice but make sure you get a DRM free version of course!
Jozape

Postby TellarHK » March 5th, 2012, 3:21 pm

The important thing that they need to decide early on, is whether or not to design a UI for the game that can be used with a touchscreen device or a game controller. A game controller is a pretty easy design retrofit, but touchscreen would be a lot trickier. Fortunately, the primary target platform is the PC, which means it won't be a case - hopefully - of a UI designed for consoles first, that winds up being a disaster on the PC. That's really the only thing I worry about at all.

Other than that, I trust that if they can design a PC-primary interface that can work with a touchscreen or game controller, we'll be just fine.
TellarHK

Postby Brother None » March 5th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Eric wrote:For me personally just a PC/Steam release would be fine. But the majority of my friends are console fans and don't really PC game, so console releases would give them the chance to play.

PC (and Mac) is the way to go primarily, should be a Steam release though not necessarily Steamworks.

Consoles though? XBLA and PSN are surprisingly indie-unfriendly, the costs are pretty high, so that seems less likely.
Thomas Beekers
Line Producer
Brother None

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Wasteland 2 General Discussion (No Spoilers)