YESSS!! Looks like they chose the Unity engine, awesome!viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2131
Seems the OpenGL ES support is sufficient or just as likely, they are betting that in the next 12 months it will get full opengl support, maybe they even got confirmation from google. Native client is googles flagship technology for their new Chrome OS after all, this is a big priority for them.
Although i've gone on about the benefits of the Unity engine, here are a few more.
- Since Obsidian has licensed their rpg tools, Obsidian can charge for them through the Unity asset store. (which increases the chance we'll get them in the modkit)
- Modkit will be integrated into the Unity engine, which will make Wasteland 2 the most mod friendly game evA!
- Cheap A.i middleware support, means there's a higher chance of advanced A.i for Wasteland 2.
- Solid middleware support means Inxile will save alot of time, which will translate to a game that not only plays better but looks/sounds better too.
- Free unity engine is available now, which means there will be barely any learning curve in mod development.
I'd say this is even a big deal for Unity as they've never had a desktop game of this calibre on their platform before. It makes sense for an RPG though, as they are one of the most time intensive game genres. The Unity engines ease of use focus has paid off.