Madball357 wrote:So why not do it? Give me one valid reason.
it? Give me one
If gamers are going to keep going on and throwing a fit about how the latest film critic dissed their entire medium for being pointless, shallow, and without artistic merit, you don't get to also say you want your medium to remain boring, shallow, and without artisitc merit because 'ew gays'.
Lanatir wrote:Dont get me wrong, i have nothing against gay people, on the contrary, i know quite a few myself, and i treat them just the way i treat everyone else, but what makes gay people so very special that they have to be mentioned particularly? Why not assume that it is totally NORMAL to be gay, without the need to mention it?
Because in most game worlds we are conveniently excised from existence and no one but us seems to think twice about it.
Hell Razor wrote:The problems with this are (in order):
1) It seems completely trivial and pointless. You're talking about an almost unnoticeable use of words that will have no effect on anything, so I'm annoyed that you somehow think this is important.
2) How many occurrences of this need there be? Just one? Or should it be representative, so, for every ten characters that mention a hetero spouse or date, there should be one homo? In which case, if there are only two or three such references in the game, they should all be hetero?
3) If it is, for instance, just one reference to homosexuality, and if it is so important to you and a community of gamers to see it, then the risk I see is the need for the game designers to shove the reference in your face, or else it might get overlooked and you'll be back here asking why there are no gay characters. And it's not that I am scared of seeing gay words or anything, it's just that a contrivance of any sort is almost always a detractor from otherwise enjoyable entertainment. I'll know it's being shoved in my face to make sure I notice it, I'll know it's being shoved in my face to satisfy the political egos of a group in the real world and not the game world, and that will annoy me and detract from the natural immersion of the story and gameplay, and this is completely regardless of the issue of homosexuality.
1) If it's so trivial and easy to include us, as you said, why NOT do it?
2) How many do there need to be? There need to be enough
, silly goose.
3) If I have to spend every other waking hour of every year of my life having heterosexuality "shoved in my face", then I'm sure any manly man can put up with seeing the same-sex term "partner" once every other day. I'm sorry my demographic is so distracting to you and your gaming sessions. I'll just let you get back to playing as straight dudes, saving their princesses and girlfriends and getting rewarded with kisses and pixelated bikinis while the credits roll.BN EDIT: Gamescook, please do not triple post. Also, please do not fully quote walls of text to add short replies.