Skip to content

No "Deus Ex Machina" ending

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

No "Deus Ex Machina" ending

Postby oneyedjohn » April 4th, 2012, 8:19 pm

I hate Deus Ex Machina in general, but please don't have the game end this way. Deus Ex Machina destroys the effort we put into win and complete Wastland 2.

Normally I feel this would be a no brainier, after ME3...
oneyedjohn

Re: No "Deus Ex Machina" ending

Postby CaptainPatch » April 4th, 2012, 8:23 pm

oneyedjohn wrote:I hate Deus Ex Machina in general, but please don't have the game end this way. Deus Ex Machina destroys the effort we put into win and complete Wastland 2.

Normally I feel this would be a no brainier, after ME3...

[Bill Clinton voice] I feel your pain. [/voice] Couldn't agree with you more.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."
CaptainPatch

Postby RangerSparks » April 5th, 2012, 8:03 am

I hope for a an ending as open-ended as possible. Meaning it should change almost every time you roll a new PC and should be affected by the most minute and the most important decisions made by the PC from lvl 1-100 lets say.

Id like an ending very vague if that's what your Rangers decide, or a decisive and explosive conclusive finale that leaves no stone unturned.
RangerSparks

Postby oneyedjohn » April 5th, 2012, 8:59 am

I'm ok with an open ending, heck, some of my favorite movies and books have open endings. but what I don't want is some half-cocked ending that destroys all the choices and effort you put into you play through.

ex. fallout had a good open ending. you had closure form saving the waste from the mutant army and the communities you helped/destroyed, but you didn't know what happened to the vault dweller until fallout 2.
oneyedjohn

Postby CaptainPatch » April 5th, 2012, 10:11 am

In many/most stories, when the main story line concludes, it's THE END. "The world has been saved. Now we can all Live Happily Ever After." I _hate_ that. Life goes on, and with it there are still endless possibilities for further adventures. the game design should be structured such that when that main story line does conclude, you _still_ want to keep playing -- and there is still content there for you to do just that.

"Choose wisely."
CaptainPatch

Postby Sharkey » April 5th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Absolutely, ME3's ending killed Bioware for me.
Sharkey

Postby Keaton » April 8th, 2012, 1:01 am

Well I think Deus Ex Machina endings are primarily necessary for stories that got too epic and overdid the threat the evil guys pose so the writers put themselves into a corner and found no better way out. Mass Effect comes to mind as well as Deep Space 9 (wormhole aliens intervention).
Since I hope Wasteland 2 will not present us such a shitty overdone epic bullshit story and will keep it more down to earth there should be no need for that device anyway.
Keaton

Postby Comrade Nightmare » April 8th, 2012, 2:52 am

I too hope there wont be one. M. Night Shyamalan twist would really put a shitstain on W2.
Comrade Nightmare

Postby Nohar » April 8th, 2012, 7:00 am

If there is one thing that I really despise, it's Deus Ex Machina (unless it's played for laugh and lampshaded, like in the OoTS, when Vaarsuvius rants about it ~ Summon Webcomic : Order of the Stick). However, yeah, I hate Deus Ex Machina in general, and Deus Ex Machina endings are definitly a no-no.
Nohar

Postby Chromie » April 9th, 2012, 2:43 am

Sharkey wrote:Absolutely, ME3's ending killed Bioware for me.

Wait so Dragon Age 2 didn't?! :lol:

I would hope for an ending like Witcher 2. It's open to interpretation as to what the Northern Kingdoms will face, the fate of Foltest's daughter, Geralt will do next and the sorcercesses but it also gives us an idea of what to expect with a future invasion from Nilfgaard.

Man I love the story in both Witchers. CDProjekt did a great job at washing the taste of DA2 and ME3 out. I apologize for the promoting! ;)
Chromie

Postby Smejki » April 9th, 2012, 5:24 am

And no "rocks fall, all die" ending please
Smejki

Postby Nohar » April 9th, 2012, 5:47 am

I think you're refering to Summon Trope : Kill'Em All.
Were you thinking about Neverwinter Night 2 (highlight to see the name of the game) when you were refering to "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies" ?
Nohar

Postby CaptainPatch » April 9th, 2012, 10:48 am

Chromie wrote:
Sharkey wrote:Absolutely, ME3's ending killed Bioware for me.

Wait so Dragon Age 2 didn't?! :lol:

DA2 could have been interpreted as a simple "Oops; we miscalculated." That is, it was the _exception_ to the rule. But with ME3, BioWare clearly defined that it had definitely headed off in a specific direction. ("Less roleplaying; more Action!")

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I'm not going to let you fool me again!"

"Choose wisely."
CaptainPatch

Return to Board index

Return to Wasteland 2 General Discussion (No Spoilers)