Skip to content

EA's Origin and Wasteland 2 thread

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.

EA's Origin and Wasteland 2 thread

Postby Yachmenev » May 18th, 2012, 9:56 am

EDIT FROM BN

PLEASE NOTE the game is not Origin-exclusive, Origin is simply one of many options that will be available, including DRM-free. EA will be the distributor and will have zero say on design and production decisions.

From Chris Keenan:
Just to confirm what most are saying, this is not an exclusive deal. One of our core tenants has been to make our fans happy. That is why we spend so much time learning about what you want and don't want in Wasteland 2. This also spreads to distribution of the game. Some people like Steam, others Desura, Origin or GOG. If we only listened to the people who didn't like a specific distribution platform, we would have nowhere to deliver the game. For that reason, we want to include ALL distribution methods we can so that YOU can choose which one you support and download it from there. We just want people to have easy access to play the game we're going to put the next 18 months of our life into.

Original post below
=================

So Wasteland 2 is included in a promotion drive for Origin where EA wants crowdfunded games to join up with them.

Now I know that this so far doesn´t effect Wasteland 2 in any way if you don´t want it to (by buying the game from this choice of online platform).
I know that inXile are free to sell their game how they want as long as they live up to what they have promised so far.

But still, are you ok with this announcement? This whole project has been touted as a crusade against publisher evils, and now it´s being used to promot the online platform of the least trusted publishers of them all? The company that along with Activision symbolises much of what´s wrong with games today. It feels odd.

I still trust inXile to deliver a good game, and I am looking forward to my boxed DRM free copy of the game. But I did not really expect this from them, and it does make me a bit uncomfortable that they lead by example in crowdfunded games joining up with EA of all companies. It (hopefully) doesn´t change how this game is going to be played, but it does taint it a bit. I´m not going to say that it´s wrong, but it is......odd. It´s something to think about.
Yachmenev

EA's Origin

Postby eyesofastorm » May 18th, 2012, 10:00 am

Hi all. This board doesn't seem particularly appropriate for this question, but I was unable to find another one on this site was any more appropriate that I could create a topic in, so... forgive me, especially if there was in fact a more appropriate place and I just missed it. Anyway, I read some news today that BF has signed on to distribute Wasteland 2 through EA's Origin. I just want to know whether this is going to be the only channel through which we will be able to acquire the Windows PC version of the game. I am STRONGLY anti-EA and anti-Origin and though I will not begrudge the W2 team the opportunity to take advantage of free distribution, I'm afraid this would create a serious problem for me. Does anyone know what the dilly is?
eyesofastorm

Re: EA's Origin

Postby Ekaros » May 18th, 2012, 10:04 am

No, I believe it's also offered on Steam(kickstarter had that). Probably anywhere they can get it on they are trying, I can't believe they have went exclusive to anyone... Bad options are okay to have as long as there is good and decent options around ;D
Ekaros

Postby eyesofastorm » May 18th, 2012, 10:07 am

Great!... and my thoughts exactly. Thanks for the reply. :)
eyesofastorm

Postby Valdevia » May 18th, 2012, 10:07 am

:shock: Dunno, but i don't think they will do it Origin-only.
I think they've taked before about how "Steam is the best platform for this game" or something. I just hope they do it through Steam. Origin would kill me (EA hater too, know that feeling)
Valdevia

Postby AgentTate » May 18th, 2012, 10:09 am

Where did you read that, btw?
AgentTate

Postby eyesofastorm » May 18th, 2012, 10:12 am

AgentTate wrote:Where did you read that, btw?

Destructoid's front page.
eyesofastorm

Postby Ekaros » May 18th, 2012, 10:19 am

Valdevia wrote::shock: Dunno, but i don't think they will do it Origin-only.
I think they've taked before about how "Steam is the best platform for this game" or something. I just hope they do it through Steam. Origin would kill me (EA hater too, know that feeling)

Free is better than paying anything...

So Origin is offering indies 3 fee free months. Not a horrible deal, also I don't think Fargo is going for exclusive deals so it shouldn't be an issue.
Ekaros

Postby Yachmenev » May 18th, 2012, 10:26 am

I think he already confirmed on twitter that this is not an exclusive deal. If it was, then it would mean that he wouldn´t listen to the fanbase on what online platform they prefer. And it would be a bad idea to go down that route.

So we´re safe there. Now he just needs to explain of all these of month about "publishers = evil" talks is compatible with his long relationship with EA.
Yachmenev

Postby Darji » May 18th, 2012, 10:33 am

personally I really dont like this. This is like selling their soul to the devil again.

Wasnt EA also one of the big publishers that did not want a wasteland 2 sequel? EA just wants to make origins which is almost everywhere hated by the PC community to look good. Its the same bullshit as the EA Indy Bundle... Exclusive or not. I reallly dont like the idea almost crawling back to a publisher.

people should really protest about this when it is getting more publicity.
Darji

Postby eyesofastorm » May 18th, 2012, 10:37 am

Darji wrote:personally I really dont like this. This is like selling their soul to the devil again.

Wasnt EA also one of the big publishers that did not want a wasteland 2 sequel? EA just wants to make origins which is almost everywhere hated by the PC community to look good. Its the same bullshit as the EA Indy Bundle... Exclusive or not. I reallly dont like the idea almost crawling back to a publisher.

people should really protest about this when it is getting more publicity.

I really kind of agree. I don't want to be a stick in the mud about it as long as I can play the game without having Origin be a part of that, but... I pledged money up front so that this game could made, marketed, distributed, sold, etc... without the involvement of EA or Activision or THQ or any of the other soulless vampires sucking the life and goodness out of gaming. *sigh*
eyesofastorm

Postby Color Blotch » May 18th, 2012, 10:50 am

More choice is better? I suppose not for everyone...
Color Blotch

Postby eyesofastorm » May 18th, 2012, 11:09 am

Color Blotch wrote:More choice is better? I suppose not for everyone...

I get that sentiment. I really do. I just have a personal belief that adding EA to anything makes it worse. Put some EA on your hotdog? Worse. Feed some EA to your fish? They'll probably die. Flush some EA down the toilet? You just ruined the entire sewage system friend. But like I said, that's just a personal belief. I realize some folks may like how EA tastes on their hotdog. To each their own.
eyesofastorm

Postby Darji » May 18th, 2012, 11:12 am

This is not about choice.

Its about Brain Fargo saying "evil Publisher" all the time and than suddendly go "back" to them after it was funded. It basicly neglets Brains statement or opinion about these evil publishers. The reason this kickstarter was started in the first place
Darji

Postby Ekaros » May 18th, 2012, 11:18 am

Darji wrote:

Its about Brain Fargo saying "evil Publisher" all the time and than suddendly go "back" to them after it was funded. It basicly neglets Brains statement or opinion about these evil publishers. The reason this kickstarter was started in the first place

No, EA is distributor here. It would be like not selling game on GameStop because they sell used games. There is difference between having company as publisher and distributor...
Ekaros

Postby AgentTate » May 18th, 2012, 11:25 am

Ekaros wrote:
Darji wrote:

No, EA is distributor here. It would be like not selling game on GameStop because they sell used games. There is difference between having company as publisher and distributor...

I have to say I agree. EA won't be giving any money to inExile in order to create the game, so they won't have any input on what goes into the production of the game. The only money EA will be giving to inExile will be what ever profit is made selling it through Origin.
AgentTate

Postby eyesofastorm » May 18th, 2012, 11:28 am

Ekaros wrote:
Darji wrote:

I think the difference is that Gamestop was never in the business of refusing to fund projects like Wasteland 2 or worse, funding them and then forcing the developer to change them into something they were never meant to be through strong-arm tactics like withholding payments to the Dev until the Dev agreed to change this or that aspect of a game. EA is in a rough place right now (as are all the big publishers I would say) and they put themselves there by treating devs and gamers in a predatory fashion rather then like valued commodities. Offering 90 days of free distribution isn't an altruistic move. First, they are trying to get Origin on more people's machines. Second, they are hoping to offset the widely held negative opinion gamers have of them, but that only works if people don't consider the primary objective. Anyway, that's my take on it. I don't like the Brian and inXile are choosing to help them with those objectives. I realize that it means more money for inXile because they don't have to pay the distribution fees, but it seems like it goes back on the very principles of the idea of fan funding.
eyesofastorm

Postby AgentTate » May 18th, 2012, 11:42 am

eyesofastorm wrote:*SNIP*
I think the difference is that Gamestop was never in the business of refusing to fund projects like Wasteland 2 or worse, funding them and then forcing the developer to change them into something they were never meant to be through strong-arm tactics like withholding payments to the Dev until the Dev agreed to change this or that aspect of a game. EA is in a rough place right now (as are all the big publishers I would say) and they put themselves there by treating devs and gamers in a predatory fashion rather then like valued commodities. Offering 90 days of free distribution isn't an altruistic move. First, they are trying to get Origin on more people's machines. Second, they are hoping to offset the widely held negative opinion gamers have of them, but that only works if people don't consider the primary objective. Anyway, that's my take on it. I don't like the Brian and inXile are choosing to help them with those objectives. I realize that it means more money for inXile because they don't have to pay the distribution fees, but it seems like it goes back on the very principles of the idea of fan funding.

I understand where you're coming from here, however, asking inXile to reduce their options for making a profit on a game they'll be spending over 18 months producing is essentially asking them to take a pay cut. There has been a lot of bad treatment towards devs and gamers coming from these publishers, and there's no denying that this is a marketing stunt on Origin's part. InXile has their bottom line to consider. The money we've donated is going towards producing the game. Until they start selling, they won't have made ANY profit. It's in their best interest to accept any amount of free distribution. They'd be crazy not to. It's a portion of free marketing and distribution for three months, and it widens the market they can tap into. If I were running a gaming company, I'd do it.
AgentTate

Postby eyesofastorm » May 18th, 2012, 11:57 am

AgentTate wrote:I understand where you're coming from here, however, asking inXile to reduce their options for making a profit on a game they'll be spending over 18 months producing is essentially asking them to take a pay cut. There has been a lot of bad treatment towards devs and gamers coming from these publishers, and there's no denying that this is a marketing stunt on Origin's part. InXile has their bottom line to consider. The money we've donated is going towards producing the game. Until they start selling, they won't have made ANY profit. It's in their best interest to accept any amount of free distribution. They'd be crazy not to. It's a portion of free marketing and distribution for three months, and it widens the market they can tap into. If I were running a gaming company, I'd do it.

*sigh* I know. I agree with you that it seems the right *business* move from a purely logical standpoint. That's why I'm just voicing my displeasure rather than stamping my feet and demanding my pledged money back or some such. But then again, I'm not entirely convinced that it's the right move. How long has gaming been stuck in this rut where there are only huge AAA games and tiny indie games? 38 Studios is in the middle of cataclysmic disaster right now even though Amalur sold reasonably well. There is this mindset that there is only room for stunning financial successes and nothing else, so publishers (and maybe Devs too) started making more and more expensive games trying to make the next blockbuster and that has led us to this state of homogeny where a moderate success is actually a business destroying failure. For moderate sized projects to survive and for niche markets like ours (presumably) to be served, there has to be a point where people say, "This much profit is enough and we are not going to compromise or reach beyond ourselves to achieve more".
eyesofastorm

Re: Are you ok with Wasteland 2 being used to promote Origin

Postby Semaphor » May 18th, 2012, 11:59 am

Haven't heard of it but yeah, I agree with you.

edit:
EA announced it will wave distribution fees on Origin for crowd-funded games for 90 days. The program is only available to projects that are fully-funded, complete and ready-to-publish.

Meh, free distribution? Why not. In that case everyone who decides to go buy at Origin, it's their problem.
Semaphor

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Website/Company Feedback and Questions