Skip to content

Wasteland 2 Paypal option now available!

Announcements and media coverage pertaining to Wasteland 2. Only moderators and inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Wasteland 2 Paypal option now available!

Postby Brother None » March 21st, 2012, 4:01 pm

Right here you can now donate to Wasteland 2 using Paypal if no credit card option is available. Pledges function the same as for Kickstarter, except the money is taken from your account immediately rather than at the end of the drive. This is now no longer a problem since the game is going to be made anyway, so there's no risk involved for people donating.

• Unlike Kickstarter, PayPal will debit your account immediately. Please ensure you have all funds available. Since the Kickstarter project is 100% funded, development of Wasteland 2 is assured. Had we not been 100% funded through Kickstarter, these donate buttons would not have been possible.
• International orders must choose from the option for shipment to International destinations if you will be receiving any physical rewards. A $15 US additional charge has been added for shipping and handling.
• Unlike Kickstarter, we are not able to compound multiple donations to achieve a reward at a higher tier. The donation you are making now can not be increased at a later date. Please ensure the reward tier you are donating to is your definite choice of support.
• We are unable to provide donation rewards beyond the $500 tier through PayPal. For rewards beyond $500, you will need to place your donation through Kickstarter.
Thomas Beekers
Line Producer
Brother None

Re: Wasteland 2 Paypal option now available!

Postby infestor » March 21st, 2012, 4:13 pm

can we get a counter and graph on paypal accumulated money? since we won't see it on kickstarter. or is it asking too much?
"People who get up early in the morning cause war, death and famine."
—Banksy
infestor

Postby Ichkannnichtmehr » March 21st, 2012, 4:30 pm

infestor wrote:can we get a counter and graph on paypal accumulated money? since we won't see it on kickstarter. or is it asking too much?

There is one.

It's right above the pledges-chart.
Ichkannnichtmehr

Postby mangrove » March 21st, 2012, 5:58 pm

So if kickstart and amazon take something like a 5% each cut and paypal take 3%(?), what's stopping me from withdrawing my kickstart pledge and firing it to inxile thru paypal so that they get more bang from my buck?

...Or is that not really in the spirit of things? :)
mangrove

Postby infestor » March 21st, 2012, 6:31 pm

Ichkannnichtmehr wrote:
infestor wrote:can we get a counter and graph on paypal accumulated money? since we won't see it on kickstarter. or is it asking too much?

There is one.

It's right above the pledges-chart.

danke.

mangrove wrote:So if kickstart and amazon take something like a 5% each cut and paypal take 3%(?), what's stopping me from withdrawing my kickstart pledge and firing it to inxile thru paypal so that they get more bang from my buck?

i recommend that you confirm that information (5% & %3 commissions). there might be another catch with paypal. such as worse exchange rates or another commission upon withdrawal etc.
—Banksy
infestor

Postby vadrick » March 21st, 2012, 8:27 pm

mangrove wrote:So if kickstart and amazon take something like a 5% each cut and paypal take 3%(?), what's stopping me from withdrawing my kickstart pledge and firing it to inxile thru paypal so that they get more bang from my buck?

Well, consider that the kickstarter gave the project publicity that may not have happened with just a simple Paypal donation plea.

Yeah, a 10% rake is a bit steep and I hope that's something that should be tamed in the future. However, in the big picture for this specific project, I can't see how it's a loss.
vadrick

Postby hiptanaka » March 22nd, 2012, 2:18 am

If too many people did that, the Kickstarter would fall below 900k and the funding wouldn't happen.

On the other hand, if everyone did it... ;)
hiptanaka

Postby AmnesiacJack » March 22nd, 2012, 3:04 am

Paypal is the option I was waiting for in order to donate since I can't use my card through Amazon.

Here's $100!
AmnesiacJack

Postby void1984 » March 22nd, 2012, 5:21 am

Please be aware that Paypal often holds the transaction for months without a reason, so if you can use both credit card and paypal choose the card.
void1984

Postby Nazman » March 22nd, 2012, 5:56 am

Was hoping for a paypal option (don't have credit card). Here's another $100 for Wasteland 2, can't wait to play!
Nazman

Postby Ekaros » March 22nd, 2012, 7:26 am

I got amazon work with 3rd or 4th email and new account, but paypal is good if they don't caught your assets ;D

It does broaden the base and I hope the information get's around.

Is there any plans to continue paypal longer than kickstarter, for late commers?
Ekaros

Postby Ichkannnichtmehr » March 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am

Ekaros wrote:I got amazon work with 3rd or 4th email and new account, but paypal is good if they don't caught your assets ;D

It does broaden the base and I hope the information get's around.

Is there any plans to continue paypal longer than kickstarter, for late commers?

That would be unfair to the people who use Kickstarter.

The PayPal option is for people like me who have no credit card, but still want to support the project.

Even if it is only for the time from 100%-funded to Kickstarter-end, it is still great that inXile would go to the trouble for us, especially now that they are already way over the finish line.
Ichkannnichtmehr

Postby kad136 » March 22nd, 2012, 9:12 am

At the top of the paypal page...

Please attempt to pledge through Kickstarter first.
If you are unable to use Kickstarter, we now provide a secondary PayPal option.

I don't know the details, but obviously they prefer you use Kickstarter.
kad136

Postby Zlidrit » March 23rd, 2012, 8:52 am

Thanks for enabling Paypal option,
this was only reason i couldnt donate to this great cause !
Zlidrit

Postby void1984 » March 23rd, 2012, 9:17 am

kad136 wrote:I don't know the details, but obviously they prefer you use Kickstarter.

Paypal likes to hold the money for himself, forever. http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Probably the studio doesn't want to end up in position of Xenonauts' developer.
http://www.destructoid.com/problems-with-paypal-xenonauts-dev-funds-frozen-213385.phtml
void1984

Postby Ichkannnichtmehr » March 23rd, 2012, 1:55 pm

void1984 wrote:
kad136 wrote:I don't know the details, but obviously they prefer you use Kickstarter.

Paypal likes to hold the money for himself, forever. http://www.paypalsucks.com/

http://www.destructoid.com/problems-with-paypal-xenonauts-dev-funds-frozen-213385.phtml

Wow, I didn't now that the developer of Xenonauts had problems with PayPal.

I understand that PayPal feels that they may be hit with a liability charge if the game doesn't ship, but that is no excuse to simply lock the account, period.

They are withholding money that does not belong to them.

They could be charged in court for that.

About "paypalsucks.com", I don't know about that site......
Ichkannnichtmehr

Postby infestor » March 23rd, 2012, 2:17 pm

Ichkannnichtmehr wrote:
void1984 wrote:

Wow, I didn't now that the developer of Xenonauts had problems with PayPal.

I understand that PayPal feels that they may be hit with a liability charge if the game doesn't ship, but that is no excuse to simply lock the account, period.

They are withholding money that does not belong to them.

They could be charged in court for that.

About "paypalsucks.com", I don't know about that site......

sorry but they cannot! why you would ask, because paypal is not a bank thus does not obey any banking conventions. so basically when you or the receiver agrees to their ToS they're basically stuck with it. yet another reason not to use those evil bastards' service. there has been many cases where people couldn't get their money and paypal was not found the guilty party. that's why kickstarter doesn't use these assholes' service and that's probably a good idea. i had my share of the problems with paypal, but that is another story.
—Banksy
infestor

Postby Ichkannnichtmehr » March 23rd, 2012, 2:28 pm

infestor wrote:sorry but they cannot! why you would ask, because paypal is not a bank thus does not obey any banking conventions. so basically when you or the receiver agrees to their ToS they're basically stuck with it. yet another reason not to use those evil bastards' service. there has been many cases where people couldn't get their money and paypal was not found the guilty party. that's why kickstarter doesn't use these assholes' service and that's probably a good idea. i had my share of the problems with paypal, but that is another story.

Well, I can only speak for myself when I say that I never had any problem with PayPal, and I know of a few people who had problems with their credit-cards ( hence them not having one any more for me to use :( ) so I guess it comes down to what type of service you have had bad experience with.
Ichkannnichtmehr

Postby SuAside » March 24th, 2012, 12:21 am

Paypal was added simply because it is a widely accepted means of payment and some people had issues with Amazon. If you use it or not, is entirely up to you.
This was never meant as an endorsement of Paypal or its policies.
"Reason is always a kind of brute force; those who appeal to the head rather than the heart, however pallid and polite, are necessarily men of violence. We speak of touching a man's heart, but we can do nothing to his head but hit it."
SuAside

Location: MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Working Out the Suprisingly Obvious

Postby Dogmeat » March 25th, 2012, 3:00 am

Thank you for the paypal alternative. Although i have a credit card, i never got it to work with amazon payments, so i was left out from founding this. But now with paypal i instantly donated and here i am.

ps: i don't think they will have trouble with paypal. The game is founded and ready to go in development, so this paypal donation acts just as any other donation out there, just as legal. Imho, of course, as i'm no legal expert.
Dogmeat

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Wasteland 2 News and Announcements