Skip to content

Brian Fargo Unite 2012 Speech; Wasteland 2 footage

Announcements and media coverage pertaining to Wasteland 2. Only moderators and inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brian Fargo Unite 2012 Speech; Wasteland 2 footage

Postby Brother None » August 30th, 2012, 1:09 am

Brian Fargo's "The Power of the Crowd" speech from Unite 2012 is now available online on Unity's own website. He talks about the history of Interplay, videogaming business, working for publishers, how crowdsourcing is changing the nature of the business. It runs about an hour long.

However, what might interest fans most is that at 30:10 he shows the product running inside the Unity engine, the same area as the screenshot but in motion, showing the camera zoom options and the models in their idle animations, and Mark Morgan's track over it. It runs about one minute.

EDIT: just the Wasteland 2 footage, thanks to bewitched.
Thomas Beekers
Line Producer
Brother None

Re: Brian Fargo Unite 2012 Speech; Wasteland 2 footage

Postby salt1219 » August 30th, 2012, 1:56 am

Wow thanks none :)
Mostly harmless.
salt1219

Postby D Bishop » August 30th, 2012, 4:05 am

Good speech by Fargo.

Thumbs up for the top-down view and the idle movement. One of the guys seemed a little too active, considering the situation, but maybe he was high.
D Bishop

Postby Mutantovich » August 30th, 2012, 4:18 am

Good presentation.
But I have one thought that the music is not suitable to this location, may be it will sound better in LA, it is not clear. So far, all this looks like a cow's saddle. In the garden elder and uncle in Kiev. Well you know what I mean, don't you.
About the animation is better not to stutter.
I got a little delight. Of course I need to make allowances for the fact that is pre-alpha, but I can't. It is better to know nothing about the project until the release of the game, in this case I do not have to worry unnecessarily, but curiosity won't let me.
Last edited by Mutantovich on August 30th, 2012, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mutantovich

Postby Woolfe » August 30th, 2012, 5:32 am

Rip-fucking-snorter....

Screw all you doubters, that looked great... Especially when he zoomed in and then out to top down view....

:D :D :D
As a mod I am here to uphold the Forum Rules, feel free to pm me or the other mods with concerns.

My opinions however are my own. Mostly cause no one else wants them :)
Woolfe

Postby undecaf » August 30th, 2012, 5:45 am

Things appear to be working out almost exactly as I had expected -- this is good. If the game looks great already, I can only imagine how it will look and feel once it's done. 8-)
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."
undecaf

Postby General Maxson » August 30th, 2012, 6:13 am

I must say, that I'm very pleasantly surprised when I saw the footage. I was sceptic when I first saw the screenshot and didn't want "toony" look, but this looks really good. It reminded me a bit of the Troika's would be post apoc game, that unfortunately never saw the light of day. I can imagine it will look really good, when they add more effects and things like desert sand wind and stuff like that. I watched the whole vid, and I must say that Fargo inspires me with confidence that he will make a good game. His heart seems to be at the right place anyway. :mrgreen: Man I can't wait too see more. Especially some of the more important issues than the graphics, but I guess it's too early for that.
General Maxson

Postby The Tallest » August 30th, 2012, 6:33 am

I have not been disappointed yet. I felt the little game play teaser was awesome. It looked great. I kept expecting a gun fight to break out. Keep up the good work inXile!
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.

David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.
The Tallest

Postby Ekaros » August 30th, 2012, 7:17 am

I think the waving of the guns went bit over the top. But yeah it does look something traditional in way of camera.
Ekaros

Postby undecaf » August 30th, 2012, 7:27 am

Ekaros wrote:I think the waving of the guns went bit over the top.

I agree. A bit more subtle "idle" movement would've looked better.
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."
undecaf

Postby Rune » August 30th, 2012, 7:32 am

Sweet!

But what's that on his shirt? It's a COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT :D
F U C K YOU! :D
Rune

Postby kgreene » August 30th, 2012, 9:33 am

Yeah I'm happy to see top down in the demo. With the long shadows, it makes me want them to recreate w1 or w2 cover art in game in some scene :)

The idle animations will likely be toned down somewhat for the final game I'd imagine. It'd be cool if they had contextual idle animations. For example, the closer you got to likely combat (enemies nearby) the PCs would start pulling weapons out, checking clips, etc. Away from enemies, maybe pull out a canteen to take a drink, tie a shoe, etc...
kgreene

Postby Sub-Human » August 30th, 2012, 10:02 am

Congratulations to Brian Fargo and InXile's development team. I really like how you can go top-down along with isometric, I must say this level of customization and delivering promises is off the mainstream scale.
Sub-Human

Postby ButchinMelancholy » August 30th, 2012, 10:21 am

Interesting stuff, but concerning the game's snippet, while quite happy to see more and in motion, I'm a bit worried that nothing in the design has been adjusted yet (except for color tone, which is basically my exact "tweak" ^^). :|

I also hope we'll be able to precisely choose the camera angle and zoom, and save our default view.

undecaf wrote:
Ekaros wrote:I think the waving of the guns went bit over the top.

I agree. A bit more subtle "idle" movement would've looked better.

I didn't felt much attracted by the animations too. It doesn't give a deep temper to the characters, and rather feels "toyish" again (in this case because it is not "heavy" and elegant enough I think)...
Moreover, I am definitely not convinced by the Scorpitron, still... Do something inXile, it has to be a massive and creepy dealer of death machine!

Otherwise, love the portrait at 28'. :D
Last edited by ButchinMelancholy on September 6th, 2012, 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What will change the world in the first place is not what we will do, but what we will refuse to do yet...
ButchinMelancholy

Postby Gazoinks » August 30th, 2012, 11:29 am

Ooh, looks nice. I never played the original so I can't say how it compares stylistically, but I like the look they're going for. Definitely agree on the toning down of the idle animations though. I do really like the idea of context sensitive animations though. Maybe someone you haven't moved for several turns starts fidgeting, or your bruiser at the front brandishes his weapon at nearby enemies, etc.

And that music snippet gets better every time I hear it. :)
Gazoinks

Postby Zombra » August 30th, 2012, 1:58 pm

I agree that the idle animations are somewhat overactive and distracting, but I noticed something that is very cool if I'm interpreting it right ... four of the characters are all carrying assault rifles, yet each one has a completely distinct animation! Is it possible that there will be several different "postures" to choose from for our Rangers?

HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE.
"I don't care about the mass market." - Brian Fargo
Zombra

Postby D Bishop » August 30th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Zombra wrote:I agree that the idle animations are somewhat overactive and distracting, but I noticed something that is very cool if I'm interpreting it right ... four of the characters are all carrying assault rifles, yet each one has a completely distinct animation! Is it possible that there will be several different "postures" to choose from for our Rangers?

HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE.

I was also thinking that maybe different characters could have different amounts of idle movement. Something you pick when you're creating the characters. One can't stand still while the other barely turns his head when the shooting starts. Just a minor point but I thought that would be cool as well :P
D Bishop

Postby Ekaros » August 30th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Hmm, yeah the weapons were treated in kinda toyish way. Maybe it's just that my experience is with quite heavy AR and you don't generally wave one around at least not for the whole day, not that I was very fit at the time. Also shooting AR with one hand is off...
Ekaros

Postby ChatWithaNinja » August 30th, 2012, 3:03 pm

I loved that footage.
I think everyone needs to relax a little on the animations. What you are probably seeing is the characters doing their "lets get this on" motions, not the motions that will be commonly used.
You know what I mean: The motions or actions that characters sometimes do when the player isn't giving them any input and the engine is just sitting there waiting for a command to do something.

Looks great people.
ChatWithaNinja

Postby Ronin73 » August 30th, 2012, 3:37 pm

Have to admit I did not expect to see any kind of game footage this soon, considering it's still supposed to be in pre-production and, yeah I'm guessing the animations shown by the characters are little more than a demonstration of what might be possible, rather than what will be used.

I like what I see so far, but I'm really waiting to hear/see some concrete information on the rule set and game mechanics.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo
Ronin73

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Wasteland 2 News and Announcements