Skip to content

Saturation Preference Poll

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Vote for your choice of default color level:

1) Option A: I prefer more vibrancy in my Wasteland.
24%
2) Option B: I like a little post processing in my Wasteland.
56%
3) Option C: I want my Wasteland as bleak as possible.
19%

Total votes : 1232

Saturation Preference Poll

Postby Faran Brygo » August 7th, 2012, 2:18 pm

As you may know we released a very early screenshot to show our backers that work was coming along and what Unity could do. Overall the feedback was very strong and we were happy to have gotten such positive messages from the backers. We had over 40,000 impressions of the screenshot from Facebook alone due to the sharing. I was also very pleased that the press handled it so well in conveying the facts about it being an early shot and communicating that releasing a screen so early in the process is not something I would normally do. We had a great debate about the balance of transparency vs. showing incomplete imagery but it was a clear net positive.

We read through every comment on Kickstarter, our forums, Facebook and my Twitter to get a sense of all the feedback. Our goal in this is to capture the feel of a fairly bleak post-apocalyptic world yet not let the palette be totally as washed out as others have. It is important to realize that Wasteland is not serious 100% of the time, so the players have some fresh air mixed in with the doom. There was much discussion early on from the fans who begged us to spare them from an art style that consisted of nothing but a monotonous lack of color. More than anything it appears that people reacted well to getting some color in the scene but there was some debate about the overall saturation levels.

We stand behind our use of color, but the color palette is only one piece of the overall look of the area. The lighting and time of day as well as the post process effects have a huge impact on the final look. To illustrate that point, we are posting some additional shots of the same area, with the exact same texture maps on all shots, in which the saturation is dialed down a bit through a post process filter in Unity. Wasteland 2 will have a system in place that will allow the player to adjust the settings on these post process effect to customize the look of the game to suit a variety of tastes.

In this example the screen shot is taken in the late afternoon. The lighting is set up to be warm, but not too harsh, and the shadows are long. Knowing that you can customize the graphics to a wide range of different saturation levels, we want to know what setting our community thinks should be the default setting. “Option A” shows the scene as it was originally presented, with no post process filter doing any desaturation. “Option B” shows some filtering and “Option C” shows extreme desaturation. Please let us know which setting you would like to see be the default configuration.

Keep in mind that these screens do not represent the final camera. Also, note that we have improved the player models, but don't let those sway your opinion on the backgrounds. This screenshot is just one map, so expect a different look for Los Angeles, underground sewers, the Agricultural center, etc. Mood and atmosphere is are very important to me, and the palette tone is part of that.

-Brian
Faran Brygo

Re: Saturation Preference Poll

Postby Echopeus » August 7th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Love a rich pallet, I'm tired of these drab games:D give me color!!!
Echopeus

Postby SDF121 » August 7th, 2012, 2:33 pm

I voted for option A although B is starting to grow on me (it seems to be a better balance). While my initial response to the first screenshot was simply 'meh' a few weeks ago, I must admit that this new screenshot looks significantly better than the original with the additional effects and updated character models.

My issue was never with regard to the colors or saturation but the lack of detail in the environment and the overall pristine look. However, I assumed that such complaints were due to the fact that the initial screenshot was of an early build of the game. With these newly updated screenshots it looks as if this game is coming along nicely and that I will not be disappointed.

It would be interesting to see inXile continue to release updated screenshots of this scene (regardless if it will be included in the game) so that we can see the progression of the games development from beginning to end.
Last edited by SDF121 on August 7th, 2012, 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SDF121

Postby Millennium » August 7th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Option B seems to be the best balance of color/desaturation in my opinion. It's not blooming with colors, but it does give a sense of what the scene looks like without making it too bland.
Millennium

Postby DethRaid » August 7th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Definitely number 2. No post-processing makes the scene look cartoonish, whereas all the post-processing makes it look too bland. I love how you'll let the player adjust the saturation levels. It's rare that studios give players control over the aesthetic of the game, rather than just the level of detail.
DethRaid

Postby Zylinski » August 7th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Echopeus wrote:Love a rich pallet, I'm tired of these drab games:D give me color!!!

Couldn't agree more. Voted A!

I think the effect of having more colours will give a very nice result in overgrown cities. A vibrant green colour will make nature feel even mightier.
Zylinski

Postby SDF121 » August 7th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Millennium wrote:Option B seems to be the best balance of color/desaturation in my opinion. It's not blooming with colors, but it does give a sense of what the scene looks like without making it too bland.

Agreed, I voted for A but B is beginning to grow on me. However, I think that B fails to properly convey a sunset.
Last edited by SDF121 on August 7th, 2012, 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SDF121

Postby Ranger_Hendoxicus » August 7th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Echopeus wrote:Love a rich pallet, I'm tired of these drab games:D give me color!!!
:roll: :roll:

Man seriously you do understand its the freaking END OF THE WORLD lol a world that wrecked by war and nuked isnt gonna have a rich pallet its gonna be dark dark dark 8-)
Ranger_Hendoxicus

Postby The_A_Drain » August 7th, 2012, 2:42 pm

I quite prefer the colour pop in A, but can't help but feel everything is trying to pop at once, it looks over-saturated somewhat.

Perhaps somewhere between A and B, that said my monitors are pretty cheap and not the best for looking at artwork. Voting for the middle-ground because I think A might be too visually confusing, but it's hard to say when you consider each area will be very different. C is far too unsaturated, I'm not on the "There's not enough colourful games" boat, there's tons of them (Borderlands, anything Indie for starters) but I don't think C suits Wastelands style.
The_A_Drain

Postby Aristotlol » August 7th, 2012, 2:42 pm

This is just about colour saturation, right? Well the answer must be C! Surely we want a sort of blasted, sun-bleached effect, with maybe a hint of burnt paper?
Aristotlol

Postby Jozape » August 7th, 2012, 2:43 pm

I voted A and could play with B if we were forced to play with just one setting, though it doesn't really look like a sunset. Also the green fumes seem to be dialed down? I like that.
Jozape

Postby Taconium » August 7th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Option A catches the eye, looks very different from what you'd normally see in a setting like this, and manages to simultaneously convey "post-apocalyptic nightmare" and "fun on the bun".

Early concept screenshot or not, when I first saw it, I had to get up and do a little fun but nightmarish dance. :D
Taconium

Postby roachburn » August 7th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Just based on the screens above, it seems to me that C has the most visual clarity and is easier on the eyes. It still has just enough colour in it not to be too bland.
roachburn

Postby andreaswitzen » August 7th, 2012, 2:48 pm

I know this poll is about saturation and that the OP (Brian) said that the character models have been improved but I still want to say that it still bothers me a bit that the rangers are firing their assault rifles from their hips and not their shoulders. Seems a bit too unprofessional for rangers to me.
andreaswitzen

Postby ButchinMelancholy » August 7th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Well... The "A" screen is somewhat better in some respects than the original, but also worse in some other respects (for example, why is the background like subdued compared with the foreground?)...
The "C" is obviously horrible, while the "B" is still too much (like the "A" in the other way).

Otherwise, I am sorry but I can only feel like nothing has improved (except the textures on the roof of the station and the rocks, slightly...). The characters are still not so much convincing to me, and the Scorpitron, well, it's not quite that yet to me. And I don't see anything of this ending up in the final game as it is. And I mean substantial progress... Why not taking your time to redesign properly all of that and show us something in another three months or something? :|
Honestly, and to be clear, without relativizing about the development process, I would say that this look barely anything like what I was envisioning in the game, from my tastes and what I loved in old school RPGs, to what the various artworks let us imagine (be it Wallin's pieces or the other sketches on all the Wasteland 2's sites)...

That poll was not really worth it in my opinion...

I must also note that I find the "color palette customization" idea quite lame. One should assume his own art direction, it's not something that should be the object of option switches to me... That's a sensitive work, it would be really ungraceful to do this.
Last edited by ButchinMelancholy on August 7th, 2012, 5:52 pm, edited 17 times in total.
What will change the world in the first place is not what we will do, but what we will refuse to do yet...
ButchinMelancholy

Postby scratch42069 » August 7th, 2012, 2:52 pm

Option B is the best to my eyes. Not too over or undersaturated. It's a wasteland so I expected it to look desolate but also not lacking in colour like many post apocalyptic games go for now. Option B is the perfect balance in my opinion.
scratch42069

Postby Wonderboy2402 » August 7th, 2012, 2:53 pm

I voted B. I don't mind color in a post apocalyptic game. I would say I am more on the bleak and worn out spectrum of things, UNLESS the specific environment would have fresh or well kept assets. Such as a vault or area not hit by bombs. And for the organic assessts, if we are seeing nature reclaim a warzone that would be a great use of color. Like fields of flowers with rusted hauls of mammoth tanks. Use it tastefully.

What I do not want is cartoony figures and monsters, or vibrant colors when not appropriate. When I start seeing overuse of purples and pinks with sparkles, I swear I will vomit.

Please keep in mind that yes, the original Wasteland had bright colors... the older gamers now have matured so I expect a mature Wasteland 2.

Option C is actually very close to a Fallout 1 / 2 pallet, and I wouldn't mind this at all. But I understand Wasteland2 is its own game and I think a theme of nature reclaiming the environment could help WL2 pop from other post apoc. games.
Last edited by Wonderboy2402 on August 7th, 2012, 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wonderboy2402

Postby Hyaon » August 7th, 2012, 2:55 pm

option b is perfect to my eyes. some colour, yet some grittyness and bleakness..it's a great blend!

EDIT: One thing. The screenshot appears to be quite pixelated, perhaps a better screenie for those with big monitors or zoom in a lot would be a good idea?

EDIT 2: I agree proper Rangers should fire from the shoulder.

EDIT 3: FFS Im up in 5 hours for work and Im drunk and need food. Why did I check this forum?! :shock:
Last edited by Hyaon on August 7th, 2012, 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hyaon

Postby undecaf » August 7th, 2012, 2:56 pm

A looks like the most appropriate for evening light, but B is - while looking a bit more like a cloudy morning (with displaced shadows) - a bit easier on my eyes. C is just plain ugly.

I'm quite fine with both A and B. C should never happen.
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."
undecaf

Postby Jon of the Wired » August 7th, 2012, 2:58 pm

I prefer B, though the saturation in A didn't bother me too much. What does bother me a little is that the ground texture is far to smooth, and the ground has far too much specular. It makes the ground look like it's made of shiny plastic instead of dirt and sand.

I should say, however, that overall I am very pleased with the art style.
Jon of the Wired

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Wasteland 2 General Discussion (No Spoilers)