Skip to content

Wasteland 2 to include the original Wasteland

Announcements and media coverage pertaining to Wasteland 2. Only moderators and inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Wasteland 2 to include the original Wasteland

Postby Brother None » July 9th, 2012, 2:15 pm

As per this press release

Wasteland 2 now to include the original game which started the post apocalyptic RPG genre

Newport Beach, CA - July 10th, 2012 - InXile Entertainment today confirmed that Wasteland 2 will include the original Wasteland game that was released in 1987. The original RPG is considered the godfather of post apocalyptic games and went on to win numerous awards. Computer Gaming World inducted Wasteland into their Hall of Fame, and in 1996 they ranked it the #9 best game from a list of 150 games.

"The #1 request we had during our Kickstarter campaign was to have the ability to play the first game. Fortunately EA has continued to support us on this project and has granted us the ability to bring the original to the players," said Brian Fargo, of inXile Entertainment. "It is great to be able to make Wasteland available for those feeling nostalgic or who want to experience it for the first time. It certainly will not be a pre-requisite to understand Wasteland 2, but it adds some extra flavor if you did play the prequel."

About inXile Entertainment:
Founded by long-time industry veteran @BrianFargo in 2002, inXile Entertainment develops interactive entertainment software for all popular game systems, personal computers and wireless devices. The most current project under development is Wasteland 2 which was recently financed by its fans via @Kickstarter. For more information about inXile Entertainment visit: http://www.inxile-entertainment.com.

Wasteland is a registered trademark of inXile entertainment

Additionally, Fargo lets us know

We cannot release it prior to Wasteland 2. It is to be bundled as part of Wasteland 2. I'm still happy to be able to get it in there at all.
Thomas Beekers
Line Producer
Brother None

Re: Wasteland 2 to include the original Wasteland

Postby Wazza » July 9th, 2012, 2:50 pm

That's excellent news BN! I've been telling my mates (they call it raving, but I'm not about to quibble terminology...) about WL2 so being able to introduce them to the Old School Original will be vunderbar :D
The Scorpitron belched in your general direction. Your party is now all at Mortal condition...
Wazza

Postby Kaldurenik » July 9th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Also:
I can't give specific details but the terms were very fair. I can tell you that most publishers would not have helped at ALL.
Kaldurenik

Postby BentSea » July 9th, 2012, 3:21 pm

This is very very exciting.. I never got to play the original, so I'm very happy to get this chance with the new game. Shame it doesn't get released till 2 comes out.. now.. which to play first when the time comes...
BentSea

Postby Woolfe » July 9th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Nice
As a mod I am here to uphold the Forum Rules, feel free to pm me or the other mods with concerns.

My opinions however are my own. Mostly cause no one else wants them :)
Woolfe

Postby Archangel » July 9th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Wait wait wait.

EA did this? The same EA that screws us over all the time?

Either the world is ending or your contract said all revenue would go to EA...
"They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard." - Fantastic
Archangel

Postby The Tallest » July 9th, 2012, 3:44 pm

This is awesome. Will it include the opening slide show as well? Please say yes.

Also, did Brian have to sell his wife and children to the whores over at EA?
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.

David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.
The Tallest

Postby Son of Max » July 9th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Awesome! TOTALLY AWESOME! 8-) [/Spicolli
Make the M19 an Springfield M1A Scout analog. That's all I want. Swear to God.
Son of Max

Postby rurouni » July 9th, 2012, 4:18 pm

This is awesome! Thanks inXile! : D

P.s - Please please do also include the original functionality to reset the maps : P .. I never reached anywhere near to supreme jerk...
rurouni

Postby kwanzaabot » July 9th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Yeeeeeah... EA? Doing something out of the goodness of their hearts? Not bloody likely.

What are they getting out of this? I certainly didn't donate my money to EA, so I don't like the implication that they might have their hands in the Kickstarter cookie jar.
kwanzaabot

Postby Janos Kruger » July 9th, 2012, 4:45 pm

AWESOME!!!! I'd say shut up and take my money, but I've already happily paid!
Ask for an omen, then stone it when it comes -- de essentia hominum.
-A Canticle for Leibowitz
Janos Kruger

Postby Brother None » July 9th, 2012, 5:07 pm

kwanzaabot wrote:Yeeeeeah... EA? Doing something out of the goodness of their hearts? Not bloody likely.

You (and others) do not seem to be aware that EA still owns Wasteland 1, including the rights to use materials from Wasteland 1 (Rangers, Citadel, Roboscorpion, etc). They allowed inXile to use these materials for Wasteland 2 with no fees being paid. This deal was in place before Kickstarter started, obviously, and has been widely talked about, yet every time EA is mentioned people pop out going "EA would never do anything good!"

Fargo has a very good working relationship with EA.

It is what it is. I have no idea if any fees changed hands here, though. Don't particularly care, either.
Thomas Beekers
Line Producer
Brother None

Postby vadrick » July 9th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Brother None wrote:You (and others) do not seem to be aware that EA still owns Wasteland 1, including the rights to use materials from Wasteland 1 (Rangers, Citadel, Roboscorpion, etc). They allowed inXile to use these materials for Wasteland 2 with no fees being paid. This deal was in place before Kickstarter started, obviously, and has been widely talked about, yet every time EA is mentioned people pop out going "EA would never do anything good!"

All along I assumed the deal for the rights would include some sort of money. So even if they get a few duckets for Wasteland 1, the whole deal sounds extremely generous.
vadrick

Postby SDF121 » July 9th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Brother None wrote:This deal was in place before Kickstarter started, obviously, and has been widely talked about, yet every time EA is mentioned people pop out going "EA would never do anything good!"

Fargo has a very good working relationship with EA.

It is what it is. I have no idea if any fees changed hands here, though. Don't particularly care, either.

I've never understood this mindset on behalf of gamers either... especially when there are a myriad of banking institutions, non governmental organizations, and think tanks that are more worthy of their disdain.

Glad to see that the original Wasteland will be bundled with Wasteland 2. Will the game be separate from Wasteland 2 or will it actually be included in the game itself? If it's the latter I always thought it would be interesting to stumble across an old pc in the game world with Wasteland installed.
SDF121

Postby SniperHF » July 9th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Will it be included in the boxed copies or as a separate digital download?
SniperHF

Postby infestor » July 9th, 2012, 6:45 pm

SDF121 wrote:I've never understood this mindset on behalf of gamers either... especially when there are a myriad of banking institutions, non governmental organizations, and think tanks that are more worthy of their disdain.

the disdain is not exclusive to gaming corporations, we disdain the other types, too. why? because they deserve it.
it appears that EA has 0,0000001 nanograms of humanity left after all.

SniperHF wrote:Will it be included in the boxed copies or as a separate digital download?

more importantly, will it come emulated for modern operating systems?
"People who get up early in the morning cause war, death and famine."
—Banksy
infestor

Postby RangerBen » July 9th, 2012, 6:50 pm

I hope EA has the original setup files and will offer them to inXile for bundling. The two times Interplay re-released it (Ultimate RPG Archives & 10 Year Anthology), they included the post-setup files. The response from fans was to create a fan-made reset program. In any case, the game still plays the same with setup or post-setup files, but like others have stated, you can't use the WL menu to reset the maps or characters without the original setup files.

Way to go, inXile/EA! Nice to see some collaboration!

c.f. http://wasteland.rockdud.net/wlreset.html
RangerBen

Postby Brother None » July 9th, 2012, 6:57 pm

Are you sure they still exist? Even for the Anthology release, Interplay had to scavenge some code and the source was almost lost entirely, as Scott Campbell details in a History of Fallout.

Ah, the things Interplay is now holding in storage...
Thomas Beekers
Line Producer
Brother None

Postby RangerBen » July 9th, 2012, 7:01 pm

I know they exist. I have two sets of the Wasteland 5.25" IBM-PC floppies in my disk box sitting right here next to me. (natch!) The question is, does EA have those files? Maybe they could offer a buy-back program. Perhaps inXile and/or EA should start searching for copies on eBay. Commodore 64 and Apple ][ copies occasionally pop up there, too.

As for original source code, well, that's anybody's guess. I have Ken St. Andre's original maps and scenario design notes, if that'll help with reconstruction (ha, I know it won't but still, it reminded me...). He was gonna toss 'em and I offered to be his best friend forever if he instead saved them and or scanned them for us to look at. Instead, he mailed 'em to me. I should get off my butt and scan those puppies in while inXile is still coding WL2. Maybe they can recycle some ideas they didn't use for WL1. Hm, now there's an idea!
RangerBen

Postby Drool » July 9th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Completely ignoring the hip EA hate, this is great news. Considering how friendly EA has been every step of the way with this project, I was hoping that inXile would be able to reach an agreement on the original. It's a great game that deserves to be distributed, even if it's only bundled with the sequel. Maybe we'll next see it on GOG.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.
Drool

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Wasteland 2 News and Announcements