Skip to content

We are hiring engineers!

Announcements and media coverage pertaining to Wasteland 2. Only moderators and inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

We are hiring engineers!

Postby DarkTwinkie » May 11th, 2012, 1:44 pm

If you have a passion for post-apocalytic goodness, experience working with Unity and amazing programming skills, please send your resume to jobs[at]inxile.net. We thought we’d put this out on our blog and forums first, before opening up the search further. Feel free to spread the word if you know of the perfect person.

We are looking for experienced engineers and engineering interns.
Chris Keenan
Project Lead - Wasteland 2
DarkTwinkie

Re: We are hiring engineers!

Postby ButchinMelancholy » May 11th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Should we deduce that the engine will actually be Unity then? :P
What will change the world in the first place is not what we will do, but what we will refuse to do yet...
ButchinMelancholy

Postby vadrick » May 11th, 2012, 2:33 pm

ButchinMelancholy wrote:Should we deduce that the engine will actually be Unity then? :P

You're a smart cookie.

It also could tell us that the rumored linux port for Unity is a reality now.
vadrick

Postby ButchinMelancholy » May 11th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Yeah, I hope it really has all what is needed to give the best of this game. :)
What will change the world in the first place is not what we will do, but what we will refuse to do yet...
ButchinMelancholy

Postby MinscAndBoo » May 11th, 2012, 4:35 pm

If I give you an extra 3 million will you develop it in assembly?

*runs away*
R I G I N of
The BIG list of indie games

ᴋɪᴄᴋsᴛᴀʀᴛᴇʀ ʙᴀᴄᴋᴇʀ
Wasteland II ⋆ Shadowrun Returns ⋆ Vigrior ⋆ The Dead Linger ⋆ Drifter
Carmageddon: Reincarnation ⋆ SKYJACKER ⋆ Spate ⋆ Kinetic Void
Chuck's Challenge ⋆ Rob Swigart's Portal (1986) Reborn v2.0
MinscAndBoo

Postby dmazz » May 11th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Unity could be going linux, but more likely they will be using native client (NaCl) which Unity just got export support for. Native client allows native code speed within the chrome browser, which of course runs under linux. Which is not to say the game will run in a browser window, the chrome browser is open source and as such it can be easily modified to open like a normal game in fullscreen.

This is great news, the modding opportunities the free to download unity engine are tremendous. Even the licensed obsidian special tools are within reach as unity has a asset store where it sells game engine tools, which means if obsidian wants to charge for them they can.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-57376 ... ve-client/

I also hope they throw their net for engineers far and wide, with quality application process. Unity has over a 1 million developers, you can bet there are some insanely talented programmers with the game engine who who would love to work on Wasteland 2.
dmazz

Postby HavocSlayer » May 11th, 2012, 8:26 pm

DarkTwinkie wrote:If you have a passion for post-apocalytic goodness, experience working with Unity and amazing programming skills, please send your resume to jobs[at]inxile.net. We thought we’d put this out on our blog and forums first, before opening up the search further. Feel free to spread the word if you know of the perfect person.

Are these positions in Newport Beach (or somewhere else) or are they open to telecommuters?
HavocSlayer

Postby Bestia » May 12th, 2012, 5:54 am

Native Client has pretty bad performance in some games. Most notably From Dust which is currently in Beta and has a requirement of Quad Core processor. On my Athlon X2 4400+ with GeForce 9600GT on Ubuntu 12.04 I barely get 10fps on highest settings and about 15fps on lowest. I won't even mention very bad sound in the movie sequences.

If you want to try it yourself just go to this website: from-dust.ubisoft.com using Chrome 19 which is a Beta version. The game won't install and start in earlier Chrome. Of course you need to have NaCl enabled in chrome://flags and turn on FPS counter.
Bestia

Postby dmazz » May 12th, 2012, 6:18 am

Native client is very new (7 months old) and so programmers haven't learned best practice when it comes to performance. I'd also wager that game wasn't originally programmed with native client in mind and instead was ported, in which case the performance depends on the quality of the port.

But technically speaking the performance overhead for native client is 5%, a negligible amount. The only question is how limiting opengl ES will be graphically. But who knows? In the next year it may get full opengl support.

Also porting to android and iOS will be very easy, as their graphical hardware is optimized for opengl ES.

Then again maybe they are just going to pay someone 50K to port the game to linux in the traditional fashion.
dmazz

Postby suz » May 12th, 2012, 8:14 am

From dust seems to be a bit wonky...
Focusing camera on a mountain wall 30 fps, wall+water is still 30 fps, as soon as the shiny "wayline" appears fps drops in half...

This one runs at a solid 60 fps.

If WL2 has graphics on par with AirMech - stylized for wasteland then it'll be enough for me.
suz

Postby Ravine » May 12th, 2012, 9:52 am

As a backer, a fan of the Fallout serie, and first and foremost, as a former gameplay programmer on a PC Unity game, i'd say it's a solid choice, given the schedule, the objectives, and the target platforms. I dont know if you did your previous production with this middleware, but it was one of the top candidates i had in mind when you announced the project (though i have to admit i was unsure about the linux part).

I may be a little offtopic here, but i've done some stuff that you may find useful in your production. On the tech side, Unity's gameplay scripts are powered by Mono, the free open source implementation of the .Net runtime. Which means that the gameplay dll generated can be analyzed by the Gendarme tool (which is basically a "static code analysis" tool, loading the dll, analyzing the bytecode generated according to some rules, and reports defects, bad practices, and stuff). Since Gendarme is FOSS too, i've forked it, and added rules according to Unity's best practice, performance, etc. It's called Unity-Gendarme (yeah, not a lot of imagination here, my bad), it's available on GitHub, with full source code, and as a full bin download.

Repository's here : https://github.com/fderudder/unity-gendarme
Download's here : https://github.com/downloads/fderudder/ ... e-2.10.zip
post on the Unity forum, with little FAQ and how to : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/112552 ... lysis-tool

i'd be happy and honoured if you consider using it. It can be used time to time to check your assemblies, or can easily be integrated in a full Continuous Integration system if you have one (havent tested it, but Jenkins' has a range of plugins using Violation as a foundation for a lot of analysis tool and reporters. Gendarme is one of them, and i think it will work out of the box). Dont hesitate to come by the #unity3d chan on freenode too. Lots of great folks around there; from the newbie to "the guy who always has the answers on every topic possible".

[ my life ]
This said, i cant be one of the candidate, because that would mean i'd have to break up with my gf and leave France, which is a no-go at this point in my life. This announcement this morning just made me depressed because it sounds like a effin great opportunity. On a side note, i remember that some of the folks that worked to Smith And Tinker (Weisman's company before Harebrained Schemes) have worked on Unity. Those may be good candidates, and you may be able to reach those guy through the pro networks around here (linkedin) even if California is not the closest region to the greater Seattle area.
[ /my life ]

Good luck finding the people who will make Wasteland 2. We're behind you a hundred percent, and we cant wait to play.
Ravine

Postby dmazz » May 13th, 2012, 1:20 am

Finding a skilled C# programmer shouldn't be a problem, but finding one with Unity source code engine knowledge sounds alot harder. They should try to advertise in the unity forums. Most of the developers for Unity use the C# scripting system and don't modify or even have access to the source code. (which costs extra)
dmazz

Postby ET3D » May 13th, 2012, 4:30 am

As someone who has only dabbled with the Unity engine and lives in another country, I have to say that I would have loved to have this job but instead I wish good luck to all the candidates.
ET3D

Postby dmazz » May 13th, 2012, 7:09 am

The recent comments by Brian of 'we are working with Unity closely for linux' and 'it will be an executable and not run on a browser' all but confirms that Unity has provided inxile a linux version of their game engine, along with support. So it won't be using native client.
dmazz

Postby Ravine » May 13th, 2012, 8:28 am

i think that the "it will be an executable" was more to state that Unity allows to produce other things that browser based or iOS games (because in a lot of people's minds, it's what Unity does, and only that). But that will be great to see Unity coming for linux platform, even if i'm not a linux guy or a foss advocate. And i feel deeply with the unity team who will be responsible for getting the renderer and sound and physics work on all those platforms, releases after releases :D
Ravine

Postby BubbaBrown » May 13th, 2012, 9:00 am

DarkTwinkie wrote:If you have a passion for post-apocalytic goodness, experience working with Unity and amazing programming skills, please send your resume to jobs[at]inxile.net. We thought we’d put this out on our blog and forums first, before opening up the search further. Feel free to spread the word if you know of the perfect person.

I'd love to put my masters in computer science towards a worthy cause, but damn if all the cool companies are on the opposite side of the US from me. Hope ya'll find some good candidates. I just wish I was bit closer to where Inxile is based.
My Random Efforts - http://www.bestwithstuff.com
BubbaBrown

Postby b0rsuk » May 13th, 2012, 9:36 am

Great news about Linux support in Unity.

I've seen both games made with Unity on youtube. Neither looks particularly good, but it's such a small sample.
b0rsuk

Postby Gandhialf » May 13th, 2012, 9:55 am

b0rsuk wrote:... I've seen both games made with Unity on youtube. Neither looks particularly good, but it's such a small sample.

Both games? There are dozens of them! List of Unity games is here. A Unity game can look very good. (edit: Here I linked to AirMech gameplay video, but -- as Bestia noted -- this game wasn't made with Unity engine. I'm sorry for spreading misinformation.)
Last edited by Gandhialf on May 14th, 2012, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandhialf

Postby Ravine » May 13th, 2012, 10:43 am

People dont know the potential of Unity on a Desktop, here are some examples. (yes i roughly c/p my post in the Engine thread)

Crasher, PC (2011)(not available anymore) http://youtu.be/t0iuGrWCLtU
Fray, PC (TBC, probably summer 2012) http://www.fray-game.com/ - http://youtu.be/4QPJ6By49CY
Endless Space, PC (summer 2012) http://endless-space.amplitude-studios.com/ - http://youtu.be/MM1AFpN6rh4
Ravine

Postby YoungFreud » May 13th, 2012, 12:58 pm

Having worked with Unity, the one thing I'm hoping is that Fargo can set aside $1000 for the full version. :mrgreen:

That said, that Fray game Ravine posted is exactly what I hope Wasteland looks like, with a post-apocalyptic instead of cyberpunk skin and turn-based instead of simo-based.
YoungFreud

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Wasteland 2 News and Announcements